History of Dolomitas del Norte

Founded in 1947, Dolomitas del Norte, S.A. was dedicated to obtaining basic refractory materials for the ladle furnaces of the industry in Bizkaia, mainly for Altos Hornos de Vizcaya. The raw material was dolomite, a mineral brought down from the area of Pozalagua via cable car.

A bit of history
  • Founded in 1947, Dolomitas del Norte was dedicated to obtaining basic refractory materials for the ladle furnaces of the industry in Bizkaia, mainly for Altos Hornos de Vizcaya.

  • Its location was determined by its proximity to the Ranero massif, where the raw materials were extracted and brought down via cable car. During extraction, the Pozalagua cave was found with its singularly peculiar stalactites.

  • The one that was one of the most important companies in the area ceased production in 1990. After that time, some of its facilities were demolished, except for the office, the smokestack (52 metres tall) and the section containing the unloading and cable car machinery. This is the most characteristic part of this ensemble, with its remarkable concrete silos affording it an impactful industrial image.

  • Today, the unloading plant is dedicated to being a museum and cultural centre explaining the importance of the mining industry and this factory’s importance in the region.